Social Media Intern
Title: Social Media Intern
Location: Washington D.C.
Immediate Supervisor: Assignment Editor
Compensation: Internship Stipend
Start date: June 1, 2018
To apply, send a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org April 15, 2018.
Why you want this job:
Global Press has a 12-year track record of producing exceptional journalism from the least-covered parts of the world. Global Press aims to create systemic change in the field of international journalism by revolutionizing the business model by creating multiple ethical, sustainable revenue streams, revitalizing core editorial processes to ensure accuracy and accountability and repairing the lack of gender and racial diversity that have plagued newsrooms since inception. Global Press is an employee-centered workplace that prioritizes employee wellness in a diverse, challenging, creative, humor-filled environment.
The social media intern will work directly with our editorial department to ensure GPJ social channels are well-managed and engaging.
On a typical day at Global Press you will:
- Monitoring all brand social channels
- Draft social content to amplify reach and engagement for content assets on GPJ
- Leverage online advertising on social channels to maximize impact
- Participate in organizational strategy meetings and initiatives to boost overall brand awareness
- Stay on top of social media and engagement trends to continually innovate on existing engagement programs
- Prep and schedule social posts for stories and blogs to GPJ, GPI, GPNS accounts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest)
- Research hashtags and @mentions on Twitter for upcoming stories
- Create infographics and other visual assets for social media channels
- Track reader engagement across platforms
- Create weekly newsletters for GPJ and GPI subscribers
- Be inspired by the bravery and ingenuity of Global Press reporters
- Work hard, laugh hard and make a significant contribution to global journalism
Global Press is a diverse and thriving international media organization that seeks out team members who:
- Are equally committed to journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation
- Employ discipline, generosity and humor in their daily work
- Believe in the power of high-quality information and human stories to change our world
- Thrive in a collaborative environment where team members can be honest with one another and aim to be better today than they were yesterday
The successful candidate will major in international relations, journalism or other related field, possess a strong GPA and have a track record of using social media for impact.
About Global Press
Global Press exists to create a more just and informed world by employing local journalists to produce ethical, accurate news coverage from the world’s least-covered places.
Rejecting the mainstream model of foreign correspondence, which deploys elite outsiders on short-term assignments, Global Press trains and employs a diverse population of journalists in the developing media markets where they live to produce context-rich, nuanced news coverage that provides local and global audiences with high-quality, professional news that elevates awareness and creates actionable opportunities for citizens.
Comprised of three brands that form a holistic social enterprise, Global Press is an international media company dedicated to reinventing both the craft and business of global journalism. Global Press operates a training program, Global Press Institute, an award-winning news publication, Global Press Journal, and an innovative syndication division, Global Press News Service.
Global Press aims to produce news from more than 100 countries, becoming the world’s leading news source from the developing world.