Job Title: Senior Visuals Editor
Department: Global Press Journal
Location: Washington D.C.
Immediate Supervisor: Executive Director
Compensation: Competitive, DOE
Start date: February 1, 2018
Please submit resume and well-written cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 5th.
Why You Want This Job:
Global Press has an 11-year track record of producing exceptional journalism from the least-covered parts of the globe. Global Press aims to create systemic change in the field of international journalism by revolutionizing the business model by creating multiple ethical, sustainable revenue streams, revitalizing core editorial processes to ensure accuracy and accountability and repairing the lack of gender and racial diversity that have plagued newsrooms since inception. Global Press is an employee-centered workplace that prioritizes employee wellness in a diverse, challenging, creative, humor-filled environment.
We are debuting an all new Global Press Journal in January 2018! We are looking for a creative, hard-working senior editor to take our visual storytelling capabilities to the next level.
On a Typical Day at Global Press You Will:
- Collaborate with a talented global team of editors and reporters to conceptualize, design and implement visual content for Global Press Journal stories
- Create visual coverage strategies to ensure Global Press Journal.com has a distinct look and feel and presents mission-aligned images to our growing global audience
- Load all Global Press Journal stories and visual assets on to our Word Press platform to ensure accurate, high-quality presentation of individual stories and the homepage
- Manage the photo editor to ensure appropriate, story-driven images are selected and well-edited for each story package
- Collaborate with the assignment editor to ensure the homepage is visually strong and engaging, consistently refreshed and well maintained
- Manage a network of contract producers who create explainers, animations, videos, infographics, data visualizations and other multimedia content to accompany stories and heighten reader experience
- Promote content across Global Press social pages and proactively engage on and off platform with audiences
- Review and interpret Google analytics and other reader metrics to understand site performance and engagement with visual content
- Establish and maintain visual content development standards and practices
- Identify UX/UI issues and sound the alarm for other technical issues that may arise, with some ability to troubleshoot in house
- Monitor industry competitors for visual storytelling opportunities
At least three years of professional experience in visual journalism and/or web content production for a news site. Knowledge of Word Press, Google Analytics, Adobe suite of products to create video and other multimedia assets. Some knowledge of HTML. Be an energetic, detail-oriented, self-starter looking for an international opportunity to manage an award-winning news site. Candidates with international experience and language capabilities will be prioritized.
Global Press is a diverse and thriving international media organization that seeks out team members who:
• Are equally committed to journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation
• Employ discipline, generosity and humor in their daily work
• Believe in the power of high-quality information and human stories to change our world
• Thrive in a collaborative environment where team members can be honest with one another and aim to be better today than they were yesterday
About Global Press:
Global Press exists to create a more just and informed world by employing local journalists to produce ethical, accurate news coverage from the world’s least-covered places.
Rejecting the mainstream model of foreign correspondence, which deploys elite outsiders on short-term assignments, Global Press trains and employs a diverse population of journalists in the developing media markets where they live to produce context-rich, nuanced news coverage that provides local and global audiences with high-quality, professional news that elevates awareness and creates actionable opportunities for citizens.
Comprised of three brands that form a holistic social enterprise, Global Press is an international media company dedicated to reinventing both the craft and business of global journalism. Global Press operates a training program, Global Press Institute, an award-winning news publication, Global Press Journal, and an innovative syndication division, Global Press News Service. Global Press aims to produce news from more than 100 countries, becoming the world’s leading news source from the developing world.