Title: Programs Intern
Location: Washington D.C.
Compensation: Stipend, Course Credit
Start date: Rolling
To apply, send a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com by May 1, 2018.
Required Hours: Spring 20 hours/week
Summer 30 hours/week
Why you want this job:
Global Press has a 12-year track record of producing exceptional journalism from the least-covered parts of the world. Global Press aims to create systemic change in the field of international journalism by revolutionizing the business model by creating multiple ethical, sustainable revenue streams, revitalizing core editorial processes to ensure accuracy and accountability and repairing the lack of gender and racial diversity that have plagued newsrooms since inception. Global Press is an employee-centered workplace that prioritizes employee wellness in a diverse, challenging, creative, humor-filled environment.
The Programs intern will work directly with our Programs department to create country reports and profiles to inform the Global Press expansion strategy. This is a great opportunity for anyone planning a career in journalism, international relations or another related field.
On a typical day at Global Press you will:
- Collaborate closely with global team members
- Research and write detailed country reports for prospecting global news bureaus
- Develop Local Law Lab database
- Assist with various research projects such as the duty of care handbook and drafting safety directives
- Assist with reporter database entries and baseline skills assessments
- Assist in organizing and attend company functions and networking events when applicable
- Take notes during meetings and transcribe to online folder
- Schedule training calendar including workshops and other related educational activities
- Be inspired by the bravery and ingenuity of Global Press reporters
- Work hard, laugh hard and make a significant contribution to global journalism
Global Press is a diverse and thriving international media organization that seeks out team members who have:
- Exceptional oral and written communication, self-motivated ability to work independently
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to work with all levels of personnel within the organization and with partner organizations
- The flexibility to work at 10-20 hours per week
- The ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously and provide effective follow-up with staff.
- Equally committed to journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation
- Discipline, generosity and humor in their daily work
- The belief in the power of high-quality information and human stories to change our world
- The capacity to thrive in a collaborative environment where team members can be honest with one another and aim to be better today than they were yesterday
The successful candidate will major in international relations, journalism or other related field, hold a strong GPA and have a track record of utilizing research methods and possess solid writing skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Candidates with previous international experience and language skills will be prioritized.
About Global Press
Global Press exists to create a more just and informed world by employing local journalists to produce ethical, accurate news coverage from the world’s least-covered places.
Rejecting the mainstream model of foreign correspondence, which deploys elite outsiders on short-term assignments, Global Press trains and employs a diverse population of journalists in the developing media markets where they live to produce context-rich, nuanced news coverage that provides local and global audiences with high-quality, professional news that elevates awareness and creates actionable opportunities for citizens.
Comprised of three brands that form a holistic social enterprise, Global Press is an international media company dedicated to reinventing both the craft and business of global journalism. Global Press operates a training program, Global Press Institute, an award-winning news publication, Global Press Journal, and an innovative syndication division, Global Press News Service.
Global Press aims to produce news from more than 100 countries, becoming the world’s leading news source from the developing world.