Department: Global Press Journal
Location: San Francisco, CA
Immediate Supervisor: Executive Director
Start date: January 2, 2017
Please submit resume and well-written cover letter to email@example.com by November 15th.
Why You Want This Job: Global Press has a 10-year track record of producing exceptional journalism from the least-covered parts of the globe. In 2017 Global Press will debut a revamped, one-of-a-kind editorial structure designed to support the unique aspects of Global Press journalism, including the diversity of reporter skill sets, languages, time zones and cultural context, in order to continue to elevate the quantity and quality of our journalistic output. Global Press aims to create systemic change in the field of international journalism by revolutionizing the business model by creating multiple ethical, sustainable revenue streams, revitalizing core editorial processes to ensure accuracy and accountability and repairing the lack of gender and racial diversity that have plagued newsrooms since inception. Global Press is also an employee-centered workplace that prioritizes employee wellness in a diverse, challenging, creative, humor-filled environment.
We are looking for an experienced, energetic, story-driven editor who will work with Global Press journalists across the globe to create world-class international journalism every day.
On a Typical Day at Global Press You Will:
• Coach reporters to find stories, hone angles, dig into documents, take photos and create extraordinary narratives about their communities across the globe
• Lead daily news production for Global Press Journal
• Collaborate with editors at GP HQ to create hyper-specific editorial teams that include fact checkers, copy editors and multimedia producers, ensuring that each story has the best possible team to reach its highest potential.
• Be inspired by the bravery and ingenuity of Global Press reporters
• Work with country teams to design holistic storytelling priorities that will offer readers accurate and complete coverage
• Collaborate with the Enterprise Editor to produce special projects and global series on key topics
• Collaborate with the Engagement team to ensure that stories are reaching high-impact audiences across the globe
• Work hard, laugh hard and make a significant contribution to global journalism
• Use the internal Global Press CMS to manage and engage teams to ensure timely, high-quality production.
• Coach all story pitches that come to the News Desk
• Review all first draft articles for accuracy, clarity and Global Press News Value
• Rewrite, edit and organize story assets to ensure greatest story impact
• Manage networks of on-call talent (fact checkers etc.) to ensure timely, accurate completion of each story
• Manage copyflow, maintain editorial calendar to ensure each Global Press bureau is producing complete accurate local coverage
• Take the necessary time to make each story exceptional
• Experiment with story formats and content types to maximize story impact
• Collaborate with Global Press Institute training staff to identify training needs across the reporter population
• Manage global team members across the world with empathy and a shared commitment to excellent
• Contribute ideas and energy to the Innovation Team to ensure Global Press is aggressively growing its brand footprint and global impact
The successful candidate will have 8-10 years of journalism experience, with a minimum of 2 years of previous editorial leadership and team management. International experience and language skills will be prioritized.
Global Press is a diverse and thriving international media organization that seeks out team members who:
• Are equally committed to journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation
• Employ discipline, generosity and humor in their daily work
• Believe in the power of high-quality information and human stories to change our world
• Thrive in a collaborative environment where team members can be honest with one another and aim to be better today than they were yesterday
About Global Press:
Global Press exists to create a more just and informed world by employing local journalists to produce ethical, accurate news coverage from the world’s least-covered places.
Rejecting the mainstream model of foreign correspondence, which deploys elite outsiders on short-term assignments, Global Press trains and employs a diverse population of journalists in the developing media markets where they live to produce context-rich, nuanced news coverage that provides local and global audiences with high-quality, professional news that elevates awareness and creates actionable opportunities for citizens.
Comprised of three brands that form a holistic social enterprise, Global Press is an international media company dedicated to reinventing both the craft and business of global journalism. Global Press operates a training program, Global Press Institute, an award-winning news publication, Global Press Journal, and an innovative syndication division, Global Press News Service.
Global Press aims to produce news from more than 100 countries, becoming the world’s leading news source from the developing world.