The event strategist will join our team on a contract basis to help implement the organization’s new innovative large-scale live events strategy. This 6-month contract will become a full-time position for the right candidate. Global Press is an employee-centered workplace that prioritizes employee wellness in a diverse, challenging, creative, humor-filled environment.
Department: Global Press Institute
Location: Washington D.C.
Immediate Supervisor: CEO
Start date: September 1, 2018
Send resume and well-written cover letter to email@example.com by August 1.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB
Global Press has a 12-year track record of producing exceptional journalism from the least-covered parts of the globe. We work to create systemic change in the field of international journalism by:
- Revitalizing core editorial processes to ensure 100% accuracy and accountability
- Repairing the lack of gender and racial diversity that have plagued newsrooms since inception
- Revolutionizing the business model of international journalism by creating multiple ethical, sustainable revenue streams
Global Press is a diverse and thriving international media organization that seeks out team members who:
- Are equally committed to journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation
- Employ discipline, generosity and humor in their daily work
- Are willing to challenge the 24-hour news cycle and stereotypical definitions of international news value
- Believe in the power of local women journalists to write and report undiscovered, high-value news stories
- Thrive in a collaborative environment where team members can be honest with one another and always aim to be better today than they were yesterday
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of event planning experience. Candidates must have significant expertise in event design, materials creation, sponsorship solicitation and DC audiences. Like all Global Press team members, the event strategist must be able to think big and work small, focusing on both strategy and details simultaneously.
- Work with CEO to execute the emerging live events strategy, as outlined in the organization’s sustainability plan
- Propose new ideas to improve event planning and execution processes
- Successfully execute three distinct event styles including salons, influencer events and a large scale awareness event to boost brand value and awareness of Global Press in D.C.
- Plan and execute events including logistics coordination, audio/visual production, guest outreach and vendor logistics
- Ensure all events have substantial ask and engagement opportunities for audiences
- Manage event budgets to ensure high-value and cost-effective decisions are made consistently
- Maintain an events management calendar
- Solicit sponsors, advertisers and exhibitors for each event to ensure each event is profitable
- Leverage D.C.-based connections to ensure high-value audiences are present at each event
- Ensure all event communications are aligned with the organization’s core values
- Develop and edit event marketing materials including invitations, programs, agendas and online locations
- Employ exceptional customer service skills when interfacing with all event guests and stakeholders
About Global Press
Global Press exists to create a more just and informed world by employing local journalists to produce ethical, accurate news coverage from the world’s least-covered places.
Rejecting the mainstream model of foreign correspondence, which deploys elite outsiders on perpetual short-term assignments, Global Press trains and employs a diverse population of female journalists in the developing media markets where they live to produce context-rich, nuanced news coverage. Our stories, produced and disseminated in local language and English, provide local and global audiences with high-quality, professional news that elevates awareness and creates actionable opportunities for citizens.
Comprised of three brands that form a holistic social enterprise, Global Press is an international media company dedicated to reinventing both the craft and business of global journalism. Global Press operates a training program, Global Press Institute, an award-winning news publication, Global Press Journal, and an innovative syndication division, Global Press News Service.
Global Press aims to produce news from more than 100 countries, becoming the world’s leading news source from the developing world.