Title: Development Intern
Location: Washington D.C.
Immediate Supervisor: Associate Director of Development
Compensation: Stipend, Course Credit
Required Hours: 30 hours/week
Start date: June 1, 2018
To apply, send a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15, 2018.
Why you want this job:
Global Press has a 12-year track record of producing exceptional journalism from the least-covered parts of the world. Global Press aims to create systemic change in the field of international journalism by revolutionizing the business model by creating multiple ethical, sustainable revenue streams, revitalizing core editorial processes to ensure accuracy and accountability and repairing the lack of gender and racial diversity that have plagued newsrooms since inception. Global Press is an employee-centered workplace that prioritizes employee wellness in a diverse, challenging, creative, humor-filled environment.
The Development Intern will support Global Press’ fundraising department to research prospects, create materials and develop events strategies.
On a typical day at Global Press you will:
- Collaborate closely with the development team to conduct prospect research
- Assist with the production of upcoming Influencer series events
- Creating a calendar of brand-promotion events to assist with raising the profile of Global Press in D.C.
- Conduct research and analysis of funding opportunities from impact investment to PRIs
- Assist with finding professional development opportunities for staff
- Collaborate with team members to create innovative donor thank you products
- Be inspired by the bravery and ingenuity of Global Press reporters
- Work hard, laugh hard and make a significant contribution to global journalism
Global Press is a diverse and thriving international media organization that seeks out team members who have:
- Exceptional oral and written communication, self-motivated ability to work independently
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to work with all levels of personnel within the organization and with partner organizations
- Availability to work 30 hours per week during the 11-12 week internship period
- The ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously and provide effective follow-up with staff.
- Discipline, generosity and humor in their daily work
- The belief in the power of high-quality information and human stories to change our world
- The capacity to thrive in a collaborative environment where team members can be honest with one another and aim to be better today than they were yesterday
The successful candidate will have excellent organizational skills and will possess research, data collection and analysis skills. This internship requires a highly detail-oriented individual. Candidates should hold a strong GPA and have interest in international development and nonprofit news business models.
About Global Press
Global Press exists to create a more just and informed world by employing local journalists to produce ethical, accurate news coverage from the world’s least-covered places.
Rejecting the mainstream model of foreign correspondence, which deploys elite outsiders on short-term assignments, Global Press trains and employs a diverse population of journalists in the developing media markets where they live to produce context-rich, nuanced news coverage that provides local and global audiences with high-quality, professional news that elevates awareness and creates actionable opportunities for citizens.
Comprised of three brands that form a holistic social enterprise, Global Press is an international media company dedicated to reinventing both the craft and business of global journalism. Global Press operates a training program, Global Press Institute, an award-winning news publication, Global Press Journal, and an innovative syndication division, Global Press News Service.
Global Press aims to produce news from more than 100 countries, becoming the world’s leading news source from the developing world.