Business Development Strategist
Title: Business Development Strategist
Department: Global Press News Service
Location: Washington D.C.
Compensation: DOE full benefits, including 401k
Start date: August 2017
Please submit resume and detailed cover letter by July 15, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB
Global Press has an 11-year track record of producing exceptional journalism from the least-covered parts of the globe. We work to create systemic change in the field of international journalism by:
- Revitalizing core editorial processes to ensure 100% accuracy and accountability
- Repairing the lack of gender and racial diversity that have plagued newsrooms since inception
- Revolutionizing the business model of international journalism by creating multiple ethical, sustainable revenue streams
The Business Development Strategist will lead in developing new revenue opportunities, creating and testing a revenue strategy and then building a team to successfully implement the new strategy. The successful candidate will recognize that this is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to change the business model of journalism and will work tirelessly to ensure Global Press is successful in meeting our goals of becoming 50 percent supported by earned revenue in the next five years. Like all Global Press employees, the successful candidate will be able to think big and work small, focusing on both strategy and details simultaneously.
Global Press is an employee-centered workplace that prioritizes employee wellness in a diverse, challenging, creative, humor-filled environment. We are looking for an innovative, energetic business mind who will work to support Global Press journalists across the globe to create world-class international journalism every day.
Global Press is a diverse and thriving international media organization that seeks out team members who:
- Are equally committed to journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation
- Employ discipline, generosity and humor in their daily work
- Are willing to challenge the 24-hour news cycle and stereotypical definitions of international news value
- Believe in the power of local women journalists to write and report undiscovered, high-value news stories
- Thrive in a collaborative environment where team members can be honest with one another and always aim to be better today than they were yesterday
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of business development experience and a track record for building and implementing diverse revenue strategies. Candidates with previous experience in the media sector will be prioritized.
- Develop an overall revenue strategy and multi-sector implementation plan
- Collaborate with team members to brainstorm, test and develop new revenue ideas
- Articulate clear revenue goals and personal KPIs with support from the executive director
- Engage with prospects and clients to discover new ways that Global Press news and educational assets can support their goals
- Develop a diverse revenue strategy that aligns with Global Press vision and values
- Use past insights and experiences to create digital and new business revenue
Implementation & Marketing
- Set revenue goals, then take responsibility for the results
- Create marketing and support materials to communicate new and existing products to clients
- Live the Global Press value of “radical transparency” by becoming personally accountable for building and implementing powerful, scalable revenue plan
- Use available tools to track outreach to develop systems and strategies for reaching client types
Leadership & Communication
- Lead and work in a collaborative manner that reflects the core values of Global Press
- Work with an understanding that this position will grow to a c-suite level position leading the GPNS brand, for the right candidate
- Leverage strong, precise organizational, written and verbal communication skills to reach goals
- Become a Global Press brand advocate to convert clients to understand the convey the importance and nuance of our model
- Collaborate with Global Press Development and Membership teams to maximize all revenue opportunities
- Provide clear, concise reports on revenue plans, processes and outcomes
- Represent Global Press at relevant conferences, events and other public relations opportunities
- Manage client relationships to ensure customer satisfaction and maximize opportunities
- Encourage and support the development of a “revenue culture” at Global Press, encouraging all team members to consider themselves part of a productive revenue team
About Global Press
Global Press exists to create a more just and informed world by employing local journalists to produce ethical, accurate news coverage from the world’s least-covered places.
Rejecting the mainstream model of foreign correspondence, which deploys elite outsiders on perpetual short-term assignments, Global Press trains and employs a diverse population of female journalists in the developing media markets where they live to produce context-rich, nuanced news coverage. Our stories, produced and disseminated in local language and English, provide local and global audiences with high-quality, professional news that elevates awareness and creates actionable opportunities for citizens.
Comprised of three brands that form a holistic social enterprise, Global Press is an international media company dedicated to reinventing both the craft and business of global journalism. Global Press operates a training program, Global Press Institute, an award-winning news publication, Global Press Journal, and an innovative syndication division, Global Press News Service.
Global Press aims to produce news from more than 100 countries, becoming the world’s leading news source from the developing world.