Associate Enterprise Editor, Reproductive Rights
The Associate Enterprise Editor will join our team on a contract basis to create a large-scale project on global reproductive health issues. This 6-month contract will become a full-time position for the right candidate. Global Press is an employee-centered workplace that prioritizes employee wellness in a diverse, challenging, creative, humor-filled environment.
Department: Global Press Journal
Location: Washington D.C.
Immediate Supervisor: Enterprise Editor
Start date: October 1, 2018
Send resume and well-written cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 1.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB
Global Press has a 12-year track record of producing exceptional journalism from the least-covered parts of the globe. We work to create systemic change in the field of international journalism by:
- Revitalizing core editorial processes to ensure 100% accuracy and accountability
- Repairing the lack of gender and racial diversity that have plagued newsrooms since inception
- Revolutionizing the business model of international journalism by creating multiple ethical, sustainable revenue streams
Global Press is a diverse and thriving international media organization that seeks out team members who:
- Are equally committed to journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation
- Employ discipline, generosity and humor in their daily work
- Are willing to challenge the 24-hour news cycle and stereotypical definitions of international news value
- Believe in the power of local women journalists to write and report undiscovered, high-value news stories
- Thrive in a collaborative environment where team members can be honest with one another and always aim to be better today than they were yesterday
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of experience working as a news editor at a journalism organization. Candidates must have significant expertise in reporting on health, in general, and women’s health and reproductive rights, specifically. Candidates who speak French, Spanish and have previous global journalism experience will be prioritized. Like all Global Press employees, the associate enterprise editor must be able to think big and work small, focusing on both strategy and details simultaneously.
By the end of the 6-month contract, the associate enterprise editor will coach, edit and publish a large-scale, multi-media editorial project centered on reproductive rights in Latin America and East Africa.
- Create core training materials to ensure that the global team of reporters understands core concepts, terms and policies related to the topic.
- Craft a clear, concise call for pitches from the GPJ reporter network
- Host a series of “office hours” to get to know reporters and coach their pitches during the pre-reporting stage
- Work with the Research & Accuracy Division to get current regional and localized data
- Work with the Research & Accuracy Division to create new data opportunities to support high-quality storytelling
- Collaborate with reporters to hone angles, dig into documents, produce high-impact visuals and create extraordinary narratives about communities across the globe
- Work with other HQ editors, fact checkers, copy editors and multimedia producers, to ensure that each story is 100% accurate upon publication
- Collaborate with the GPJ visuals team to create a high-value visual plan for the product
- Work with the Engagement team to ensure that stories are reaching high-impact audiences across the globe
ABOUT GLOBAL PRESS
Global Press exists to create a more just and informed world by employing local journalists to produce ethical, accurate news coverage from the world’s least-covered places.
Rejecting the mainstream model of foreign correspondence, which deploys elite outsiders on perpetual short-term assignments, Global Press trains and employs a diverse population of female journalists in the developing media markets where they live to produce context-rich, nuanced news coverage. Our stories, produced and disseminated in local language and English, provide local and global audiences with high-quality, professional news that elevates awareness and creates actionable opportunities for citizens.
Comprised of three brands that form a holistic social enterprise, Global Press is an international media company dedicated to reinventing both the craft and business of global journalism. Global Press operates a training program, Global Press Institute, an award-winning news publication, Global Press Journal, and an innovative syndication division, Global Press News Service.
Global Press aims to produce news from more than 100 countries, becoming the world’s leading news source from the developing world.